Tuesday, April 1, 2014

This blog is for anyone who feels that every day is a new kind of effort


Lately, life has been a struggle for us

We got married October 19th and all was bliss. We were a young newlywed couple, living in our amazing new house, complete with a barn in the backyard for our horse and a ton of room for our two dogs and having a bigger income than we had ever made before. We were living in a house that could compete with our parents, a large 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home, completely remodeled and beautiful inside. We even had savings! Which was new for me, but a comfort to my husband.

Aww sweet and unworried bliss

It all went to shit after we got pregnant. 

Not that we weren’t EXCITED to be pregnant. It was not planned but we were happy. We were hopeful. We were excited to have a baby brought into our lives, to be blessed and enriched with a baby’s presence. My DH (Joel from here on out) and I were constantly told how cool we would be as parents, which I took as a high compliment. The kind of parents a kid would be stoked to have.

So yeah, we were excited. Correction: we ARE excited. That hasn’t changed.

Our little 8 week Michelin Man Baby

What changed was our lives immediately after telling my employer we were pregnant and starting a family. Two weeks after I told the good news to my boss, he posted an ad on craigslist for my job. Two weeks after that, he let me go under false pretenses. Two weeks’ severance pay and “Ta Ta!” UNEMPLOYED. 

Our world was rocked. We had this amazing life that was provided by my being the primary breadwinner. I personally was more successful at that job both financially and professionally, than I had ever been. There I was, in my late 20s, newly married and I had what I thought was an amazing job that I excelled at. We made decisions based off our combined income, acquired certain bills that were dependent on this income. And now it was just….gone. 

We didn’t think that it would be terribly hard to find a new job for me, although it is never something one desires to go through as a 3 month pregnant woman. Who would hire me? Why would someone hire a pregnant woman who would shortly gone on maternity leave versus the young 20 something candidate who had no familial obligations? It’s illegal to discriminate against women for being pregnant, but no one will say THAT’s why they aren’t hiring you. They will just find some other reason. 

Needless to say, it WAS a struggle. We filed for unemployment but it appeared that my past two employers had not paid into it. So I got a measly $155 a week….almost 85% less than what I was making weekly before my layoff! Had it not been for my husband, I don’t know how we could have survived almost 3 months of me not working. Joel is amazing at a budget, albeit very very cheap/frugal, but that trait came in handy when our income was cut by 60%. 

Another struggle was trying to be excited about a baby coming and all the pregnancy milestones that come with it. It’s hard to be 100% excited when your husband can’t make your first ultrasound because he has to take every job he can get so we can pay our rent on time. (He’s a stuntman in Hollywood) It’s hard to be excited to find out it’s a girl when you are wondering how you can afford the diapers she is going to need. It’s hard to be excited when all you want to do is shop for your new addition, but you have to take up couponing just to get the groceries you need.

It's a girl!

If it sounds like I’m complaining, it’s because I am! It’s because this was thrust upon me without warning, because I was discriminated against for starting a family, because my choice to be a mother was penalized by my employer. Was I mad? HELL YEAH. Am I still mad? More than ever, with every day that passes. Do I want to be a mad pregnant lady? No way! It’s hard enough dealing with ever changing hormones! (I yelled at the dog this morning because he wouldn't go pee…only to find out my husband had taken him out two hours before. I tried to keep it cool but imagine feeling rage at your beloved pooch cause he won’t pee fast enough? It’s ridiculous and I certainly felt bad. He’s my baby and I yelled at him for no good reason other than I’m a hormonal pregnant lady) But I don’t want to carry around this kind of anger for my little girl inside. She deserves a calm mom, she deserves that COOL mom everyone talked about. She’s been so good already, it’s been such an easy pregnancy that I can only hope it’s an equally as easy birth/newborn era. So for her, for our new daughter, I will try to let my anger and frustration over this discrimination subside. 

I will try to express more gratitude for the life I have. We didn't have to lose our house, our cars, our horse, our dogs or our life. Our daughter is growing perfectly for her age. This pregnancy has been so easy, I haven’t had to take any time off for pregnancy related symptoms. She’s active in her little home in my belly, kicking up a storm most mornings and nights. Her Daddy has even felt her move a time or two. (He gets weirded out by it occasionally, anyone else’s husband like that?) 

My dogs are healthy, my horse is celebrating her 19th birthday in May, my parents are all healthy and happy. Our baby is going to be born into a family filled with love for her. And that has to be my main focus right now.

We are healthy and happy, that is what truly matters


Carefree Times

However, in 5 minutes when my hormones rage, remind me of this post ok?

u

No comments:

Post a Comment